To see our list of Routes to Employment courses including day, time & location please click here.
These programmes will support your move into a specific sector or industry, and could change your career. You will gain a greater awareness around the qualities, attitudes and
behaviours needed to work within a specific sector. You will develop and enhance your personal communication skills in addition to working effectively as part of a team.
These bespoke programmes include:
- Customer Service skills including exceeding customer expectations
- The job opportunities in your chosen field
- Effective communication skills
- Identifying and improving your skills, attributes and transferable skills and how to apply these to your chosen role
- Increasing your confidence at interview
- Awareness and confidence building techniques in all types of interviews and assessment processes you may encounter
- Learning how to research the sector and study your chosen job specification
- Awareness of Data Protection, Equality & Diversity and Safeguarding at work
Health and Social Care Sector Based Work Academy Programme
This is a 4 week full time SWAP running at our Health and Social Care Academy within the YMCA in North Shields. Learners will complete the NCFE CACHE Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care (with links to the care certificate), which provides an ideal taster for learners who may be new to the sector or new to the world of work. As part of their qualification learners will be introduced to knowledge around the following areas relating to working in adult social care. (Role of the Social Care Worker / Personal Development / Person Centred Approaches / Equality, Diversity & Inclusion / Communication / Safeguarding & Protection / Duty of Care / Handling Information & Confidentiality / Health & Safety including Manual Handling; Risk assessment; Fire Safety; COSHH).
Learners will also complete some additional training including:
- North Tyneside Council Adult Safeguarding Training
- North Tyneside Council Infection Control and use of PPE (donning and doffing PPE procedures)
- Accredited Food Safety qualification.
- Fire Safety Training
- Employment Skills – Job Search Skills / CV building / Interview Preparation
- DBS will be funded by North Tyneside Council.
We aim to support this work experience element virtually in the interim.
- Throughout the delivery there are case studies and scenarios to complete that reflect real situations candidates would encounter at work.
- There are video links to explore different job roles and practical activities relating to care and support.
- Opportunity for virtual Q&A sessions with the employers we are working with / virtual tour.
- Day in the life of a care worker / support worker included.
- PPE demonstration and assessment on donning and doffing PPE and PPE provided for this.
- Some practical training also included for manual handling.
Digital Outreach Project
The Digital Outreach Project has been created with the aim of improving digital literacy and reducing digital isolation for people who live and/or work in North Tyneside. Oftentimes, a lack of confidence or experience with digital devices, such as laptops, smart phones or PCs can leave some people out of the fast-changing digital world. People may also find it difficult to navigate social media which can lead to further isolation. The Covid-19 pandemic really highlighted for a lot of us, how important it is being able to communicate in a digital world.
The Digital Outreach Project takes on the challenges of gaps in digital confidence and digital isolation, providing tailored, informal sessions to help residents really understand their devices. We help residents use digital devices to access a wide range of online services, including accessing GP and NHS services, as well as paying bills online. Many employers are now looking for applicants who are computer literate, and this can put off prospective applicants if their confidence with laptops/PCs/smart phones is low. When someone signs up for the Digital Outreach Project, their needs and wants are discussed to see which course will suit them best. From there, sessions will be arranged to tackle the identified topics/areas in a friendly, informal manner where questions can be asked so the learner gets the most out of it.
The Digital Outreach Project offers free training to help navigate essential, day-to-day digital skills in a friendly and supportive environment. So many of our learners have fed back how much their confidence and digital skills have improved, allowing them to speak to friends and family who live abroad and even apply for a wider variety of jobs that require digital literacy.
Hospitality Sector Based Work Academy Programme
5 week course running from the YMCA in North Shields.
The first 3 weeks are classroom based, where you attend Wednesday, Thursday and Friday’s from 9.30 – 2.30pm. You aim to achieve a Level 1 City and Guilds in Hospitality and Catering, the course gives you an overview of how the Industry works, and every day we look at a different area including Customer Services, Food Service, Health and Safety, Food Safety, and preparing for work placement. We also give you the opportunity to take a Level 2 Food Safety Certificate which is a one day course. You can apply for North Tyneside Council catering vacancies and have help with careers advice from National Careers Service while on the course.