This course is suitable for complete beginners. It covers all the basics, like where to switch on the machine, how to use a mouse, and the main features of the keyboard. The course will then introduce you to simple word processing using Microsoft Word, searching the internet and the basics of email. Please note that this course uses Windows 10 and Office 2019.
The Computers Introduction course leads to an OCR nationally recognised qualification called Functional Skills in ICT at Entry Level. It is suitable for anyone who is a complete beginner or still just getting used to using a computer. You will gain a wide range of practical ICT skills for use in everyday life. The qualification is also suitable for those preparing to progress to the Certificate in IT User Skills Level 1 (CLAiT).
There are three different beginners’ Levels, Entry Levels 1, 2 and 3, and you will be assessed in the first week to ensure that you work at the correct level. Each Level will take you one term (a ten-week Computers Introduction course) and you will cover:
• How to use Microsoft Word, to create documents such as letters and posters
• How to use simple editing and formatting skills, add a picture, and save and print documents
• How to use PowerPoint to create a simple slideshow (Entry Level 3)
• How to browse the internet and use search engines (for example, Google)
• The basics of using e-mail to communicate
• The basics of safety and security when using the internet and e-mail.
You will learn both through guided tuition and demonstrations given by the tutor, as well as by working on individual tasks. There will be plenty of individual support.
Awarding Body: OCR
You will complete a straightforward assignment in order to achieve the qualification. You are allowed to refer to your notes and help sheets throughout the assignment, and you can also have help from your tutor.
This course has three different Entry Levels. If you want to move through them all please speak to your tutor, or you may wish to move onto the Certificate in IT User Skills Level 1 (CLAiT).