Early Years Educator Apprenticeship
In order to enrol on this apprenticeship, you must be in paid employment as an apprentice in Early Years in any of the following: full day care, children’s centres, preschools, reception classes and as childminders. Your role must allow you the opportunity to meet the full requirements of the level 3 apprenticeship where you will be working on your own or supervising others to deliver the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) requirements set by Government for the learning, development and care of children from birth to 5 years old. To qualify for entry onto this apprenticeship you will already hold 5 good GCE’s including English and maths and a level 2 qualification in early years. You will be assessed before starting the programme to ensure this course is right for you.
To look for apprenticeship vacancies as an Early Years Educator please go to the following website: https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
You will learn knowledge, behaviours and skills through blended learning, consisting of group training sessions, digital learning and tutorials carried out in the workplace.
- With coaching and support from your employer and your tutor, you will apply the knowledge, behaviours and skills to your organisation’s standards and to your specific role to meet the requirements of the apprenticeship.
- You will require an allocation of 20% off the job training time to enable you to complete coursework and assignments.
- At the 15 month stage of your 18 month programme you will be prepared for the apprenticeship Gateway and End Point Assessment. This will involve a 2 week intensive period of study, revision and tutorials with your assigned tutor.
- To complete your apprenticeship you will learn the expected patterns of children’s development from birth to 5 years, and an understanding of further development, the significance of attachment, theoretical approaches to how children learn and develop, how learning and development can be affected by development and individual circumstances, the early years curriculum, Equality and Diversity, safeguarding and the importance of holistic development.
• You will achieve the level 3 Early Years Educator qualification which will be completed before you work through Gateway.
- You will also achieve the level 3 in Paediatric First Aid.
- As part of your end point assessment, you will take part in a professional discussion and a knowledge test.
More information can be found here: https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/early-years-educator/
Your knowledge, skills and behaviours will be assessed at the end of your apprenticeship, by a professional discussion and a knowledge test. Your qualification will be achieved through a range of evidence gathering methods such as observation in the workplace, professional discussion, assignment and reflective account.
The Advanced Apprenticeship in Early Years Educator is completed within 18 months so you must be employed for this time.
You will be working in an early years environment, receiving on the job coaching and training in the workplace and will attend the training centre for weekly training sessions. You will be using digital learning materials and will be required to complete tasks and upload these to your e-portfolio, during allocated off the job training. This training will all be during your contracted hours of work.
What else do I need to know?
The course will extend your knowledge, skills and abilities, which in turn will enhance your career prospects enabling you to be a valuable part of any business. All training materials will be provided at the training centre.
You could move on to a Foundation Degree (FdA) in Education and Care next.