Early Years Practitioner Apprenticeship
In order to enrol on this apprenticeship you must be in paid employment as an apprentice in Early Years in any of the following: private and public settings including; full day care, children’s centre, pre-school, reception class, playgroup, nursery school, home based provision, hospital, social care setting, out of school club or any local authority provision to deliver the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) requirements set by government for the learning, development and care of children from birth to 5 in both indoor and outdoor environments. Your role must allow you the opportunity to meet the full requirements of the Level 2 Apprenticeship where you will work and interact directly with children on a day-to-day basis supporting the planning of and delivery of activities, purposeful play opportunities and educational programmes within the ethos of the setting. To qualify for entry onto this apprenticeship you will already hold 3 good GCSE’s including English and Maths. You will be assessed before starting the programme to ensure this course is right for you.
To look for apprenticeship vacancies as an Early Years Practitioner please go to the following website:
You will learn knowledge, behaviours and skills through blended learning, consisting of group training sessions, digital learning and tutorials carried out in the workplace.
• With coaching and support from your employer and your tutor, you will apply the knowledge, behaviours and skills to your organisation’s standards and to your specific role to meet the requirements of the apprenticeship.
• You will require an allocation of 20% off the job training time to enable you to complete coursework and assignments.
• At the 15-month stage of your 18-month programme you will be prepared for the apprenticeship Gateway and End Point Assessment. This will involve a 2-week intensive period of study, revision and tutorials with your assigned tutor.
• To complete your apprenticeship, you will learn how to interact with parents, children, colleagues and wider multi agency professionals and partners. You will be able to
support child initiated and adult led activities based around the needs and interests of each individual child, support children’s learning through planned, purposeful play
opportunities and educational programmes and work as part of a team to ensure each child feels safe and secure. You will also support the observation and assessment of
each child and contribute to their learning experiences and assist with the care needs of the individual child such as teeth, skin, hair, feeding, changing nappies and toileting
under direction of a more senior member of the team.
• You will undertake the Level 2 Early Years Practitioner qualification which will be completed before you work through Gateway.
• As part of your end point assessment, you will take part in a professional discussion and a knowledge test.
More information can be found here:
Your knowledge, skills and behaviours will be assessed at the end of your apprenticeship, by a professional discussion and a knowledge test. Your qualification will be achieved through a range of evidence gathering methods such as observation in the work place, professional discussion, assignments and reflective accounts.
The Intermediate Apprenticeship in Early Years practitioner is completed within 18 months so you must be employed for this time.
You will be working in an early years environment, receiving on the job coaching and training in the workplace and will attend the training centre for weekly training sessions. You will be using digital learning materials and will be required to complete tasks and upload these to your e-portfolio, during allocated off the job training. This training will all be during your contracted hours of work.
What else do I need to know?
The course will extend your knowledge, skills and abilities, which in turn will enhance your career prospects enabling you to be a valuable part of any business. All training materials will be provided at the training centre.
You could move on to an Early Years Educator Apprenticeship next.