English Workshops courses enable you to improve your skills in English and gain nationally recognised Functional Skills qualifications. All Functional Skills courses are free.
You will be invited along to an assessment to find out what you need to work on and agree your learning aims.
For example, you may need to:
• Improve your skills in spelling
• Use formal language to write letters or reports
• Improve your use of punctuation
• Improve your reading skills.
Awarding Body: City and Guilds
English Workshops are aimed at those who already possess the basics of reading and writing. They are assessed by Functional Skills Level 1 or Level 2 tests.
You may need just a few weeks of practices, or up to 72 hours of tuition – its all free.
You may begin at any point in the year and you will work towards on or more of the following qualifications:
• Level 1 (equivalent to GCSE grades 1-3)
• Level 2 (equivalent to GCSE grades 4-9)
You can use the Level 1 course as a stepping stone to a Functional Skills Level 2, or move on from a Level 2 to a GCSE English course.