Get Into Care
Get into Social Care is open to anyone who is unemployed over the age of 18 and is looking to work in Social Care.
This course is appropriate for those looking for a direct care role (care assistant / support worker / personal support assistant) or a support role in social care setting (domestic / cleaner / laundry assistant / kitchen assistant / general assistant).
This qualification is designed to act as an introduction and enable learners to develop the knowledge and understanding required to work within the social care sector.
- It aims to introduce some basic concepts of caring and preparation for employment in the social care sector.
- Candidate will develop job search skills and explore a variety of job roles and social care settings to identify the right opportunity (full-time & part-time roles available)
- Training is linked to the care certificate with many transferrable elements introducing working in the adult social care sector (health & safety; risk safeguarding; manual handling; fire safety; infection control; promoting independence; using wheelchairs; donning & doffing PPE)
- Practical training in our simulated care pods with equipment and resources available to practice skills.
- Virtual tours with employers and opportunity ask questions.
- To prepare for, interview and secure employment / further vocational training or apprenticeship in adult social care.
- Job search skills and online applications / Support to improve digital skills.
This course will help jobseekers identify and improve their skills, attributes, and transferable skills, specifically applying these to a social care role. Increasing their awareness and confidence building techniques in all types of interviews and assessment processes they may encounter.
Some employers may visit during course to conduct first stage interviews.
Although there are no formal entry requirements, we want to ensure that you receive the right level of support for your course and ensure you can discuss any concerns or learning needs.
The structure of this course includes classroom-based teaching and practical demonstration of skills.
Access to PC / Laptop or tablet will be required and is provided at the YMCA, but candidates are able to bring their own laptop / tablet if they prefer.
Classroom-based sessions x5 YMCA Conference Room North Shields
9am – 3pm Mon – Fri
- Induction / Working in Social Care / Different Roles & Settings
- Person Centred Values / Communication / Confidentiality / Record Keeping & Care Plans / Virtual Tours / Day in the Life of / Job search
- Health & Safety / Risk Assessment / COSHH / Fire Safety / Manual Handling / Infection Control & PPE / Use of Wheelchairs
- Duty of Care / Safeguarding / Vulnerable Adults / Reporting Procedures / Equality & Diversity / Promoting Independence / Promoting Wellbeing
Employer focus / Interview Preparation / Course Feedback
Learners who achieve this qualification could chose further learning as part of CPD such as:
- Level 2 Certificate in preparing to work in adult social care
- Level 2 Certificate in customer service for health & social care settings
- Level 2 Certificate in principles of working with individuals with learning disabilities