Level 2 Certificate in Dementia Care (Blended Learning)
The initial assessment/enrolment and awareness session is an opportunity to find out more about this course and study method and to ascertain if this is the right course and right level for you.
Although there are no formal entry requirements, we want to ensure that you receive the right level of support for your course and ensure you can discuss any concerns or learning needs.
The structure of this course includes classroom-based teaching as well as eportfolio assessment and online tools to support learning and assessment.
Access to PC / laptop or tablet will be required.
Classroom-based sessions x8 YMCA Conference Room North Shields
Following these classroom-based sessions, you will have 10-14 days to complete the online assessment for each unit.
This qualification aims to assist learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of the principles of caring for those with dementia.
It covers areas such as person-centred care, the influence of positive communication methods, issues relating to the use of medication for those with dementia and the importance of providing appropriate activities.
The qualification doesn’t infer competence in the work role but can be used to support the underpinning knowledge and understanding needed for those working in or towards a dementia care role.
Certificate in Principles of Dementia Care is a Level 2 qualification, so a good standard of literacy is required.
Course is blended learning with a mixture of classroom-based learning and use of e-portfolio system, so learners need access to computer, laptop or tablet.
Open to learners 19+.
Awarding body: NCFE
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care learners are required to successfully complete 7 mandatory units:
- Unit 01 Dementia awareness
- Unit 02 The person-centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Unit 03 Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
- Unit 04 Understand equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care
- Unit 05 Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centred approach
- Unit 06 Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
- Unit 07 Understand the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
Awareness session / Initial Assessment
Starts on 13 Feb 2024
x1 Initial assessment/enrolment and awareness session followed by x8 sessions spread over 14 weeks of course duration.
Tuesdays (every 2 weeks) 9:30am – 12:30pm at YMCA in North Shields.
Learners who achieve this qualification could chose further learning as part of CPD such as:
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Dignity and Safeguarding in Adult Social Care
- Level 2 Certificate in Common Health Conditions
- Level 2 Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care
- Level 2 Nutrition and Health
- Level 2 Certificate in Care Planning