Multiply – Home Maintenance and DIY
This course is for anyone wanting to improve their DIY knowledge and learn new skills in home maintenance.
You will benefit from having some experience with basic tools and equipment, although no prior skills or qualifications are required.
To be eligible, you must be aged 19 or over and live in either North Tyneside, Newcastle, or Northumberland.
On this course you will develop hand skills in joinery and have the opportunity to learn new skills in DIY. The course will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Measuring correctly
- Tiling: Small adjustments, including regrouting and sealing
- Plaster patching & dry-lining basics (fixing cracks & surfaces)
- Awareness of asbestos
- Kitchen fitting knowledge – levelling up unit doors, isolating water isolation valves and unblocking waste bends
- Oiling & easing of doors & windows, and changing a hinge
- Fixing a toilet seat
- Hand skills & power tools basics – safe usage
- Damp advice (condensation/mould/ventilation & heating)
- Changing plugs and locks, hanging pictures & assembling flat packs
- Painting, decorating, and working out surface area to estimate correct amount of material (paint, wallpaper etc)
- Working out costings for effective management of household budget
This is a non-accredited course which means there are no formal exams or assessments. Your tutor will provide feedback on you progress.
5 weeks, 2 sessions per week (Mondays and Tuesdays), 9:30am – 3:30pm
It is advised that you try to attend all sessions to get the most benefit from the course.
Your tutor can discuss your options, but you may wish to consider the following courses:
- Health and Safety in Construction Level 1
- Access to CSCS card
- Functional Skills Maths and English
- Digital Outreach Project