Teaching Assistant Diploma Level 3
The course is designed for Teaching Assistants employed in schools or for those who have been volunteering in schools for some time.
• A Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning Level 2 (or equivalent) or extensive experience in an educational environment is essential.
• You must attend the Advice, Guidance and Interview session prior to the start of the course.
• If you are not employed by a school, you must volunteer in a school for a minimum of 1-2 days (with a current DBS).
This is a nationally recognised qualification which will extend the skills of Teaching Assistants in supporting pupils’ learning in areas such as special educational needs, Literacy, Numeracy and ICT, and will enable them to work more effectively in supporting achievement and inclusion. It provides a qualification that will formalise their classroom experience.
Candidates will learn how to:
• Develop and maintain professional skills and knowledge
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships
• Contribute to the management of pupil behaviour
• Contribute to pupils learning and the development of Literacy, Numeracy and ICT skills
Awarding Body: NCFE CACHE
You will complete an E-Portfolio of evidence which will hold all assessments completed. You will be assessed using a variety of methods, such as:
• Observations of you working with children
• Reflective accounts
• Professional discussion
It is expected that you spend on average around 12 hours a week including school placement, workshops and independent work from home. Your tutor will provide guidance on the E-portfolio system and will support you in uploading evidence that will demonstrate your competence in school. Using an E-portfolio enables you to submit work and to see feedback from your tutor whenever it is convenient for you.
You can complete the course in 12 months.
There are 14 taught sessions every 2-3 weeks where you will be provided with the underpinning knowledge. You will also receive regular individual tutorials with your tutor.
You also need to volunteer in a school for a minimum of 1 day every week.
You could progress onto:
• The Higher Level Teaching Assistant course
• Level 4 Certificate for the Advanced Practitioner in Schools and Colleges
• A PGCE / Certificate in Education and Training
• You may also consider some of our Distance Learning courses