Statement of Intent
North Tyneside Council, Adult Learning Service, endorses the Department for Education’s five-part definition of British Values and will ensure all elements are embedded during all programmes of delivery:
- The belief in freedom and equality between people.
- A broad general knowledge & respect of public institutions and services.
- Helping you to influence decision-making through the democratic process.
- Explaining the advantages and disadvantages of democracy
Rule of Law
- Fairness in the way people are dealt with.
- Exploring the laws that govern and protect us.
- Understanding the consequences if these rules are broken.
- Considering that these may be different from religious laws
- The freedom to live as you wish and go where you want.
- Helping you to making informed choices.
- Taking responsibility for your choices and exercising them safely.
- Making sure you know your rights.
- Treat others with respect
- Tolerance of those with different respects and beliefs.
- Understanding how your behaviour has an effect on your own rights and those of others.
- Challenging prejudicial or discriminatory behaviour
- Respecting other people’s differences, other cultures and ways of life.